Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to culture medium: agar
A liquid or gelatinous substance containing nutrients in which microorganisms, cells, or tissues are cultivated for scientific purposes.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Microbiology) a nutritive substance, such as an agar gel or liquid medium, in which cultures of bacteria, fungi, animal cells, or plant cells are grown
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
me•di•um(ˈmi di əm)
n., pl. -di•a (-di ə) for 1-9, 11, -di•ums for 1-11, 17, n.
1. a middle state or condition; mean.
2. something intermediate in nature or degree.
3. an intervening substance, as air, through which a force acts or an effect is produced.
4. the element that is the natural habitat of an organism.
5. surrounding objects, conditions, or influences; environment.
6. an intervening agency, means, or instrument by which something is conveyed or accomplished: Words are a medium of expression.
7. one of the means or channels of general communication, information, or entertainment in society, as newspapers or television.
8. the substance in which specimens are displayed or preserved.
9. Also called culture medium. a nutrient material for the cultivation of microorganisms, tissues, etc.
10. a person through whom the spirits of the dead are alleged to be able to contact the living.
a. a size, as of garments, to fit the average figure.
b. an item in this size.
12. the material or technique with which an artist works.adj.
13. about halfway between extremes in degree, quantity, position, or quality.
[1575–85; < Latin: n. use of neuter of medius middle. See mid1]
usage: See media1.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||culture medium - (bacteriology) a nutrient substance (solid or liquid) that is used to cultivate micro-organisms|
bacteriology - the branch of medical science that studies bacteria in relation to disease
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.