cuneiform(redirected from Cuneiforms)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Cuneiforms: cuneiform bone
a. Of or relating to any of various related writing systems of the ancient Near East having characters formed by the arrangement of small wedge-shaped elements and used to write Sumerian, Akkadian, Elamite, Hittite, Old Persian, and other languages.
b. Relating to, composed in, or using such characters.
3. Anatomy Of, relating to, or being a wedge-shaped bone or cartilage.
1. Cuneiform writing.
2. Anatomy A wedge-shaped bone, especially one of three such bones in the tarsus of the foot.
[Latin cuneus, wedge + -form.]
1. Also: cuneal wedge-shaped
2. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) of, relating to, or denoting the wedge-shaped characters employed in the writing of several ancient languages of Mesopotamia and Persia, esp Sumerian, Babylonian, etc
3. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) of or relating to a tablet in which this script is employed
4. (Anatomy) of or relating to any of the three tarsal bones
5. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) cuneiform characters or writing
6. (Anatomy) any one of the three tarsal bones
[C17: probably from Old French cunéiforme, from Latin cuneus wedge]
cu•ne•i•form(kyuˈni əˌfɔrm, ˈkyu ni ə-)
1. having the form of a wedge; wedge-shaped.
2. composed of slim triangular or wedge-shaped elements, as the characters used in writing by the ancient Akkadians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, and others.
3. written in cuneiform characters.
4. of or pertaining to any wedge-shaped bone, as certain tarsal bones.n.
5. cuneiform characters or writing.
[1670–80; < Latin cune(us) a wedge + -i- + -form]
A non-alphabetic system of writing used throughout the ancient world for over 2,000 years. It was probably invented by the Sumerians. A symbol was constructed out of sets of wedge-shaped strokes made in soft clay with pieces of reed.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cuneiform - an ancient wedge-shaped script used in Mesopotamia and Persia|
script - a particular orthography or writing system
Babylonian - the ideographic and syllabic writing system in which the ancient Babylonian language was written
|Adj.||1.||cuneiform - shaped like a wedge|
|2.||cuneiform - of or relating to the tarsal bones (or other wedge-shaped bones)|