cupel(redirected from cupeller)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A porous cup, often made of bone ash, used in assaying to separate precious metals from base elements such as lead.
2. The bottom or receptacle in a silver-refining furnace.
tr.v. cu·peled, cu·pel·ing, cu·pels or cu·pelled or cu·pel·ling
To assay or separate from base metals in a cupel.
[French coupelle, from Old French, diminutive of coupe, cup, from Late Latin cuppa, drinking vessel.]
cu′pel·ler, cu′pel·er n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Metallurgy) a refractory pot in which gold or silver is refined
2. (Metallurgy) a small porous bowl made of bone ash in which gold and silver are recovered from a lead button during assaying
vb, -pels, -pelling or -pelled, -pels, -peling or -peled
(Metallurgy) (tr) to refine (gold or silver) by means of cupellation
[C17: from French coupelle, diminutive of coupe cup]
ˈcupeller, ˈcupeler n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cu•pel(ˈkyu pəl, kyuˈpɛl)
n., v. -peled, -pel•ing (esp. Brit.) -pelled, -pel•ling. n.
1. a small, porous cup, usu. made of bone ash, used in assaying, as for separating gold and silver from lead.
2. a receptacle or furnace bottom in which silver is refined.v.t.
3. to heat or refine in a cupel.
[1595–1605; < Medieval Latin cūpella= Latin cūp(a) tub + -ella diminutive suffix]
cu′pel•er, cu•pel′ler, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: cupelled
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cupel - a small porous bowl made of bone ash used in assaying to separate precious metals from e.g. lead|
vessel - an object used as a container (especially for liquids)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.