Curaçao(redirected from curacao)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Cu·ra·çao(ko͝or′ə-sou′, kyo͝or′-, ko͝or′ə-sou′, kyo͝or′-)
An island territory of the Netherlands in the southern Caribbean Sea off the northwest coast of Venezuela. Originally inhabited by the Arawak, it was settled by the Spanish in 1527. The Dutch gained control in 1634, although the British held the island during the Napoleonic Wars (1807-1815). Oil refining and tourism are the major industries.
cu·ra·çao(kyo͝or′ə-sō′, -sou′, ko͝or′-) also cu·ra·çoa (-sō′ə)
A liqueur flavored with the peel of the sour orange.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) an island in the Caribbean, formerly a part of the Netherlands Antilles until their dissolution in 2010, now a constituent country of the Netherlands. Capital: Willemstad. Pop: 146 836 (2013 est). Area: 444 sq km (171 sq miles)
2. (Brewing) (also without capital) an orange-flavoured liqueur originally made there
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Cu•ra•çao(ˈkʊər əˌsaʊ, -ˌsoʊ, ˈkyʊər-; ˌkʊər əˈsaʊ, -ˈsoʊ, ˌkyʊər-)
1. the main island of the Netherlands Antilles, off the NW coast of Venezuela. 159,072; 173 sq. mi. (448 sq. km). Cap.: Willemstad.
2. former name of Netherlands Antilles.
3. (l.c.) Also, cu•ra•çao (ˌkyʊər əˈsoʊ, -ˈsoʊ ə) a liqueur flavored with the peel of the bitter orange.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Curacao - a popular island resort in the Netherlands Antilles|
Netherlands Antilles - a group of islands in the Lesser Antilles just to the north of Venezuela that are administered by The Netherlands
|2.||curacao - flavored with sour orange peel|
orange liqueur - liqueur flavored with orange
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
curaçao[ˈkjʊərəsəʊ] N → curaçao m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Curaçao m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007