Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. Belonging to the present time: current events; current leaders.
b. Being in progress now: current negotiations.
2. Passing from one to another; circulating: current bills and coins.
3. Prevalent, especially at the present time: current fashions. See Synonyms at prevailing.
4. Running; flowing.
1. A steady, smooth onward flow or movement: a current of air from a fan; a current of spoken words. See Synonyms at flow.
2. The part of a body of liquid or gas that has a continuous onward movement: rowed out into the river's swift current.
3. A general tendency, movement, or course. See Synonyms at tendency.
4. Symbol IElectricity
a. A flow of electric charge.
b. The amount of electric charge flowing past a specified circuit point per unit time.
[Middle English curraunt, from Old French corant, present participle of courre, to run, from Latin currere; see kers- in Indo-European roots.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||currentness - the property of belonging to the present time; "the currency of a slang term"|
nowness, presentness - the quality of being the present; "a study of the pastness of the present and...of the presentness of the past"- R.E.Spiller