Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several tropical American trees of the genus Annona, especially A. reticulata, having large, nearly heart-shaped edible fruits with white to yellowish flesh.
2. The fruit of any of these trees. In both senses also called bullock's heart.
[So called because its pulp resembles custard.]
nAlso called (for senses 1, 2): bullock's heart
1. (Plants) a West Indian tree, Annona reticulata: family Annonaceae
2. (Plants) the large heart-shaped fruit of this tree, which has a fleshy edible pulp
3. (Plants) any of several related trees or fruits, esp the papaw and sweetsop
1. any of several trees of the genus Annona, as the cherimoya.
2. any of several other trees, as the pawpaw, Asimina triloba, bearing fruit with soft, edible pulp.
3. the fruit.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||custard apple - any of several tropical American trees bearing fruit with soft edible pulp|
custard apple - the fruit of any of several tropical American trees of the genus Annona having soft edible pulp
Annona cherimola, cherimoya, cherimoya tree - small tropical American tree bearing round or oblong fruit
Annona diversifolia, ilama, ilama tree - tropical American tree grown in southern United States having a whitish pink-tinged fruit
Annona muricata, prickly custard apple, soursop, soursop tree - small tropical American tree bearing large succulent slightly acid fruit
Annona reticulata, bullock heart, bullock's heart, bullock's heart tree - small tropical American tree bearing a bristly heart-shaped acid tropical fruit
Annona squamosa, sweetsop, sweetsop tree - tropical American tree bearing sweet pulpy fruit with thick scaly rind and shiny black seeds
Annona glabra, pond apple, pond-apple tree - small evergreen tree of tropical America with edible fruit; used chiefly as grafting stock
Asimina triloba, papaw, papaw tree, pawpaw - small tree native to the eastern United States having oblong leaves and fleshy fruit
fruit tree - tree bearing edible fruit
|2.||custard apple - the fruit of any of several tropical American trees of the genus Annona having soft edible pulp|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh
cherimolla, cherimoya - large tropical fruit with leathery skin and soft pulp; related to custard apples
annon, sugar apple, sweetsop - sweet pulpy tropical fruit with thick scaly rind and shiny black seeds
ilama - whitish tropical fruit with a pinkish tinge related to custard apples; grown in the southern United States
pond apple - ovoid yellow fruit with very fragrant peach-colored flesh; related to custard apples