Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to the work of guarding or maintaining: the custodial duties of a security guard.
a. Having custody, especially of a child: "children whose custodial parent has remarried" (American Demographics).
b. Of or relating to child custody: custodial households.
3. Marked by care and supervision rather than efforts to cure: custodial treatment of terminal patients.
cus•to•di•al(kʌˈstoʊ di əl)
1. of or pertaining to custody.
2. of or pertaining to a custodian.
3. providing protective supervision and guardianship rather than seeking to improve or cure: custodial care.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||custodial - providing protective supervision; watching over or safeguarding; "daycare that is educational and not just custodial"; "a guardian angel"; "tutelary gods"|
protective - intended or adapted to afford protection of some kind; "a protective covering"; "the use of protective masks and equipment"; "protective coatings"; "kept the drunken sailor in protective custody"; "animals with protective coloring"; "protective tariffs"