nodule(redirected from cutaneous nodule)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A small knotlike protuberance.
2. Medicine A small, abnormal but usually benign mass of tissue, as on the thyroid gland, in the lung, or under the skin.
3. Botany A small knoblike outgrowth, especially one on the roots of a leguminous plant that contains bacteria that fix nitrogen.
4. Mineralogy A small rounded lump of a mineral or mixture of minerals, usually harder than the surrounding rock or sediment.
nod′u·lar (nŏj′ə-lər), nod′u·lose′ (-lōs′), nod′u·lous (-ləs) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a small knot, lump, or node
2. (Botany) Also called: root nodule any of the knoblike outgrowths on the roots of clover and many other legumes: contain bacteria involved in nitrogen fixation
3. (Anatomy) anatomy any small node or knoblike protuberance
4. (Geological Science) a small rounded lump of rock or mineral substance, esp in a matrix of different rock material
[C17: from Latin nōdulus, from nōdus knot]
ˈnodular, ˈnodulose, ˈnodulous adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a small node, knot, or knob.
2. a small, rounded mass or lump.
[1590–1600; < Latin nōdulus=nōd(us) knot + -ulus -ule]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Anatomy A small, usually hard mass of tissue.
2. Botany A small knob-like outgrowth found on the roots of many plants that are legumes. See more at legume.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nodule - a small node |
node - any bulge or swelling of an anatomical structure or part
|2.||nodule - small rounded wartlike protuberance on a plant|
|3.||nodule - (mineralogy) a small rounded lump of mineral substance (usually harder than the surrounding rock or sediment)|
mineralogy - the branch of geology that studies minerals: their structure and properties and the ways of distinguishing them
geode - (mineralogy) a hollow rock or nodule with the cavity usually lined with crystals
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
nodule[ˈnɒdjuːl] N → nódulo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
nodule[ˈnɒdjuːl] n → nodulo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. nódulo o nudo pequeño;
solitary ___ → ___ solitario;
subcutaneous ___ → ___ subcutáneo.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.