Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A murderer, especially one who cuts throats.
2. An unprincipled, ruthless person.
3. A cutthroat trout.
1. Cruel; murderous.
2. Relentless or merciless in competition: a cutthroat business.
3. Sports & Games Being a form of a game in which each of three or more players acts and scores individually: cutthroat handball; cutthroat bridge.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person who cuts throats; murderer.adj.
4. of or designating a game, as of cards, played by three persons, each scoring individually.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cutthroat - someone who murders by cutting the victim's throat|
|Adj.||1.||cutthroat - ruthless in competition; "cutthroat competition"; "bowelless readiness to take advantage"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.