cyclorama(redirected from cycloramic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A large composite picture placed on the interior walls of a cylindrical room so as to appear in natural perspective to a spectator standing in the center of the room.
2. A large curtain or wall, usually concave, hung or placed at the rear of a stage.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) Also called: panorama a large picture, such as a battle scene, on the interior wall of a cylindrical room, designed to appear in natural perspective to a spectator in the centre
2. (Theatre) theatre
a. a curtain or wall curving along the back of a stage, usually painted to represent the sky and serving to enhance certain lighting effects
b. any set of curtains that enclose the back and sides of a stage setting
[C19: cyclo- + Greek horama view, sight, on the model of panorama]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cy•clo•ram•a(ˌsaɪ kləˈræm ə, -ˈrɑ mə)
n., pl. -ram•as.
1. a pictorial representation, in perspective, of a landscape, battle, etc., on the inner wall of a cylindrical room, viewed by spectators standing in the center.
2. a curved wall or drop at the back of a stage set, used to create the illusion of space or distance.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
a circular panorama, usually of a landscape or battle, designed to be viewed from a central point. Also called panorama. — cycloramic, adj.See also: Representation
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
A curved and stretched cloth around the rear of the stage which gives the impression of sky or extensive space.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cyclorama - a picture (or series of pictures) representing a continuous scene|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Rundhorizont m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007