Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to damascene: Damascene steel
tr.v. dam·a·scened, dam·a·scen·ing, dam·a·scenes
To decorate (metal) with wavy patterns of inlay or etching.
1. Metalwork decorated with wavy patterns of inlay or etching.
2. Fabric having a wavy pattern; moiré.
1. Of or relating to damascening.
2. Of or relating to damask.
[French damasquiner, from damasquin, of Damascus, from Latin Damascēnus, from Greek Damaskēnos, from Damaskos, Damascus.]
(Crafts) (tr) to ornament (metal, esp steel) by etching or by inlaying, usually with gold or silver
(Crafts) a design or article produced by this process
adjAlso: damasceene or damasquin
(Crafts) of or relating to this process
[C14: from Latin damascēnus of Damascus]
(Placename) of or relating to Damascus
1. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Damascus
2. (Animals) a variety of domestic fancy pigeon with silvery plumage
adj., n., v. -scened, -scen•ing. adj.
1. of or pertaining to the city of Damascus.
2. (l.c.) of or pertaining to the art of damascening.n.
3. an inhabitant of Damascus.
4. (l.c.) work or patterns produced by damascening.v.t.
5. (l.c.) Also, damaskeen. to produce wavy lines on (Damascus steel).
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin Damascēnus of Damascus < Greek Damaskēnós]
Past participle: damascened
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Damascene - a native or inhabitant of Damascus|
capital of Syria, Damascus, Dimash - an ancient city (widely regarded as the world's oldest) and present capital and largest city of Syria; according to the New Testament, the Apostle Paul (then known as Saul) underwent a dramatic conversion on the road to Damascus
Syrian - a native or inhabitant of Syria
|2.||damascene - a design produced by inlaying gold or silver into steel|
|Verb||1.||damascene - inlay metal with gold and silver|
handicraft - a craft that requires skillful hands
inlay - decorate the surface of by inserting wood, stone, and metal
|Adj.||1.||damascene - of or relating to or characteristic of Damascus or its people; "damascene city gates"|
|2.||damascene - (of metals) decorated or inlaid with a wavy pattern of different (especially precious) metals; "a damascened sword"|
fancy - not plain; decorative or ornamented; "fancy handwriting"; "fancy clothes"