Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to darning needle: devil's darning needle
1. A long, large-eyed, often blunt needle used in darning.
2. Northeastern, Upper Northern, & Western US See dragonfly.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Knitting & Sewing) a long needle with a large eye used for darning
2. (Animals) US and Canadian a dialect name for a dragonfly
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a long needle with a long eye used in darning.
2. Chiefly Northern and Western U.S. a dragonfly.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||darning needle - a long needle with an eye large enough for heavy darning or embroidery thread|
sewing needle - a needle used in sewing to pull thread through cloth
|2.||darning needle - slender-bodied non-stinging insect having iridescent wings that are outspread at rest; adults and nymphs feed on mosquitoes etc.|
dragonfly, mosquito hawk, skeeter hawk, snake doctor, snake feeder, sewing needle, devil's darning needle
odonate - large primitive predatory aquatic insect having two pairs of membranous wings
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.