Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to darning needle: devil's darning needle
1. A long, large-eyed, often blunt needle used in darning.
2. Northeastern, Upper Northern, & Western US See dragonfly.
1. (Knitting & Sewing) a long needle with a large eye used for darning
2. (Animals) US and Canadian a dialect name for a dragonfly
1. a long needle with a long eye used in darning.
2. Chiefly Northern and Western U.S. a dragonfly.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||darning needle - a long needle with an eye large enough for heavy darning or embroidery thread|
sewing needle - a needle used in sewing to pull thread through cloth
|2.||darning needle - slender-bodied non-stinging insect having iridescent wings that are outspread at rest; adults and nymphs feed on mosquitoes etc.|
dragonfly, mosquito hawk, skeeter hawk, snake doctor, snake feeder, sewing needle, devil's darning needle
odonate - large primitive predatory aquatic insect having two pairs of membranous wings