day lily


Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

day·lil·y

or day lily  (dā′lĭl′ē)
n.
Any of various perennial plants of the genus Hemerocallis, native to Eurasia and widely cultivated for their large colorful flowers, which remain open for only one day. Also called hemerocallis.

day lily

or

daylily

n
1. (Plants) any widely cultivated Eurasian liliaceous plant of the genus Hemerocallis, having large yellow, orange, or red lily-like flowers, which typically last for only one day and are immediately succeeded by others
2. (Plants) the flower of any of these plants
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.day lily - any of numerous perennials having mounds of sumptuous broad ribbed leaves and clusters of white, blue, or lilac flowersday lily - any of numerous perennials having mounds of sumptuous broad ribbed leaves and clusters of white, blue, or lilac flowers; used as ground cover
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
Funka, genus Funka, genus Hosta, Hosta - robust east Asian clump-forming perennial herbs having racemose flowers: plantain lilies; sometimes placed in family Hostaceae
2.day lily - any of numerous perennials having tuberous roots and long narrow bladelike leaves and usually yellow lily-like flowers that bloom for only a dayday lily - any of numerous perennials having tuberous roots and long narrow bladelike leaves and usually yellow lily-like flowers that bloom for only a day
liliaceous plant - plant growing from a bulb or corm or rhizome or tuber
genus Hemerocallis, Hemerocallis - east Asian rhizomatous clump-forming perennial herbs having flowers on long leafless stalks; cosmopolitan in cultivation: day lilies; sometimes placed in subfamily Hemerocallidaceae
References in periodicals archive ?
Every day Lily continues to work towards making a difference, and encourages others to give back.
And you would be right - day lily flower buds can be picked early in the morning and added to salads.
Sheila Newton Ilford, Essex Hi Sheila The foliage looks like a day lily, hemerocallis.
The day lily maintains a blue and yellow partnership with the advent of summer campanulas such as persicifolia.
Vendor: RREEF Global Opportunities Fund III, Day Lily Properties Limited, Thaumat Holdings Limited
4m to Day Lily Properties Limited, a Founder company that holds 22% in the Founder Pipeline, as well as EUR19m in cash to Thaumat Holdings Limited and RREEF Global Opportunities Fund III, the owners of the remaining 78% stake in the Founder Pipeline.
2) Day Lily "Chance Encounter" (3) Day lily "Ruby Spider" (4) Blue Flax Linum (5) Excelsior Foxglove (6) Russian sage (7) Above, Joann L.
Day lily (Hemerocallis): The day lily hails from Japan and Europe.