deactivate(redirected from deactivated)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
tr.v. de·ac·ti·vat·ed, de·ac·ti·vat·ing, de·ac·ti·vates
1. To render inactive or ineffective.
2. To inhibit, block, or disrupt the action of (an enzyme or other biological agent).
3. To remove from active military status.
1. (tr) to make (a bomb, etc) harmless or inoperative
2. (Atomic Physics) (intr) to become less radioactive
3. (Military) (tr) US to end the active status of (a military unit)
4. (Chemistry) chem to return or cause to return from an activated state to a normal or ground state
v. -vat•ed, -vat•ing. v.t.
1. to make inactive: to deactivate a chemical.
2. to demobilize or disband (a military unit).
3. to render (a bomb or shell) inoperative.v.i.
4. to lose radioactivity.
Past participle: deactivated
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||deactivate - remove from active military status or reassign; "The men were deactivated after five years of service"|
|2.||deactivate - make inactive; "they deactivated the file"|
alter, change, modify - cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"