deadhead(redirected from deadheads)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A person who uses a free ticket for admittance, accommodation, or entertainment.
2. A vehicle, such as an aircraft, that transports no passengers or freight during a trip.
3. Informal A person regarded as dull-witted or sluggish.
4. A log or trunk that is partially submerged or lying just beneath the surface.
v. dead·head·ed, dead·head·ing, dead·heads
1. To pilot or drive (a vehicle) carrying no passengers or freight.
2. To remove dead or withered flowers from (a plant), especially to promote new blooms or prevent the setting of seeds.
a. To travel as an employee of an airline or other public carrier for free, especially en route to or from one's assigned duties.
b. To make a trip without passengers or freight.
c. To pilot or drive a vehicle on such a trip: "The instruments were out, and it meant they had to deadhead back on another airplane" (Walter J. Boyne).
2. To bypass a senior employee in order to promote a more junior employee.
Without passengers or freight; empty.
1. a dull unenterprising person
2. a person who uses a free ticket, as for a train, the theatre, etc
3. (Railways) US and Canadian a train, etc, travelling empty
4. US and Canadian a totally or partially submerged log floating in a lake, etc
5. (Horticulture) (tr) to cut off withered flowers from (a plant)
6. (intr) US and Canadian to drive an empty bus, train, etc
1. a person using a complimentary ticket or free pass.
2. a commercial vehicle that operates empty, as when returning to a terminal.
3. a stupid or boring person; dullard.
4. a sunken or partially sunken log.v.t.
5. to transport (someone) as a deadhead.
6. to remove faded blooms from (ornamental plants), esp. to encourage further blooming.v.i.
7. to act or serve as a deadhead.
a. (of a commercial vehicle) to travel without cargo or paying passengers.
b. (of a person) to drive such a vehicle.
Past participle: deadheaded
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||deadhead - a nonenterprising person who is not paying his way; "the deadheads on the payroll should be eased out as fast as possible"|
nonworker - a person who does nothing
|2.||deadhead - a train or bus or taxi traveling empty|
public transport - conveyance for passengers or mail or freight