Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Law An official order implementing a jury's sentence of death and setting the date for the execution of the defendant.
2. Something that destroys hope or expectation; a deathblow.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Law) the official authorization for carrying out a sentence of death
2. sign one's death warrant sign one's own death warrant to cause one's own destruction
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a warrant authorizing the execution of a death sentence.
2. a deathblow.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||death warrant - a warrant to execute the death sentence|
warrant - a writ from a court commanding police to perform specified acts
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.