decompound(redirected from decompounds)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
de·com·pound 1(dē-kŏm′pound′, dē′kəm-pound′)
1. Compounded or consisting of things or parts that are already compound.
2. Botany Having or consisting of divisions that are themselves one or more times compound: a decompound leaf.
tr.v. de·com·pound·ed, de·com·pound·ing, de·com·pounds
1. (Botany) (of a compound leaf) having leaflets consisting of several distinct parts
2. (Elements & Compounds) made up of one or more compounds
3. (Chemistry) a less common word for decompose
4. (Elements & Compounds) obsolete to mix with or form from one or more compounds
de•com•pound(diˈkɒm paʊnd, ˌdi kɒmˈpaʊnd, -kəm-)
composed of compounds the parts of which are also compounds, as a bipinnate leaf.
Past participle: decompounded