Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to decompression: spinal decompression
1. The act or process of decompressing.
2. A surgical procedure used to relieve pressure on an organ or part, such as the abdomen, cranium, or spinal cord.
de•com•pres•sion(ˌdi kəmˈprɛʃ ən)
1. the gradual reduction in atmospheric pressure experienced after working in deep water or breathing compressed air.
2. the act or process of releasing from pressure or stress.
3. a surgical procedure for relieving increased cranial, cardiac, or orbital pressure.
4. Computers. the restoration of data that has undergone compression to its original state.
A method of removing or relieving pressure, such as by opening the skull to relieve pressure that has built up inside it.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||decompression - restoring compressed information to its normal form for use or display|
decipherment, decoding, decryption - the activity of making clear or converting from code into plain text; "a secret key or password is required for decryption"
compression - encoding information while reducing the bandwidth or bits required
|2.||decompression - relieving pressure (especially bringing a compressed person gradually back to atmospheric pressure)|
alleviation, easement, easing, relief - the act of reducing something unpleasant (as pain or annoyance); "he asked the nurse for relief from the constant pain"
decompression[ˌdiːkəmˈprɛʃ/ən] n → decompressione f
n. descompresión, reducción de presión;
___ chamber → cámara de ___;
___ sickness → condición por ___;
surgical ___ → ___ quirúrgica.