decoy(redirected from decoying)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
a. A living or artificial bird or other animal used to entice game into a trap or within shooting range.
b. An enclosed place, such as a pond, into which wildfowl are lured for capture.
2. A means used to mislead or lead someone into danger.
tr.v. (dĭ-koi′) de·coyed, de·coy·ing, de·coys
1. To lure (an animal) into a trap or position to be hunted.
2. To entice or mislead by deception or into danger. See Synonyms at lure.
[Possibly from Dutch de kooi, the cage : de, the (from Middle Dutch; see to- in Indo-European roots) + kooi, cage (from Middle Dutch cōie, from Latin cavea).]
1. a person or thing used to beguile or lead someone into danger; lure
2. (Military) military something designed to deceive an enemy or divert his or her attention
3. (Hunting) a bird or animal, or an image of one, used to lure game into a trap or within shooting range
4. (Hunting) an enclosed space or large trap, often with a wide funnelled entrance, into which game can be lured for capture
5. (Hockey (Field & Ice)) Canadian another word for deke1
6. to lure or be lured by or as if by means of a decoy
7. (Hockey (Field & Ice)) (tr) Canadian another word for deke2
[C17: probably from Dutch de kooi, literally: the cage, from Latin cavea cage]
de•coy(n. ˈdi kɔɪ, dɪˈkɔɪ; v. dɪˈkɔɪ, ˈdi kɔɪ)
1. a person who entices or lures another, as into danger or a trap.
2. anything used as a lure.
3. an artificial bird or a trained bird or other animal used to entice game into a trap or within gunshot.
4. a pond into which wild fowl are lured for capture.
5. an object capable of reflecting radar waves, used to fool radar detectors.v.t., v.i.
6. to lure or be lured by or as if by a decoy.
[1610–20; variant of coy (now dial.) < Dutch (de) kooi (the) cage, Middle Dutch cōie < Latin cavea cage]
An imitation in any sense of a person, object, or phenomenon which is intended to deceive enemy surveillance devices or mislead enemy evaluation. Also called dummy.
Past participle: decoyed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||decoy - a beguiler who leads someone into danger (usually as part of a plot)|
accomplice, confederate - a person who joins with another in carrying out some plan (especially an unethical or illegal plan)
beguiler, cheater, deceiver, trickster, slicker, cheat - someone who leads you to believe something that is not true
roper - a decoy who lures customers into a gambling establishment (especially one with a fixed game)
shill - a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others
|2.||decoy - something used to lure fish or other animals into danger so they can be trapped or killed|
chum - bait consisting of chopped fish and fish oils that are dumped overboard to attract fish
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
fish lure, fisherman's lure - (angling) any bright artificial bait consisting of plastic or metal mounted with hooks and trimmed with feathers
ground bait - bait scattered on the water to attract fish
stool pigeon - a dummy pigeon used to decoy others
trap - a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned
|Verb||1.||decoy - lure or entrap with or as if with a decoy|
n (lit, fig) → Köder m; (person) → Lockvogel m; to act as a decoy → als Köder fungieren, Lockvogel spielen; police decoy → Lockvogel m → der Polizei; decoy manoeuvre (Brit) or maneuver (US) → Falle f
anything intended to lead someone or something into a trap. The policewoman acted as a decoy when the police were trying to catch the murderer. lokaas, lokmiddel شَرَك، إغْواء примамка engodo návnada, lákadlo der Köder lokkedue κράχτης, δόλωμαcebo, señuelo peibutis هرچه که به عنوان طعمه یا تله از آن استفاده شود harhautus piègeפיתיון फंसाने के लिए भेजा गया कोई आदमी, जानवर या चिडि़या mamac, vabljenje csalétek pemikat, umpan tálbeita esca おとり 유인물 jaukas māneklis; slazds; lamatas umpan lokvogel, lokaas lokkedue/-fugl przynęta دښكارزړى، مله، طعمه، هغه مرغۍ چه دښكار دپاره نورې مرغۍ پرى را جلبوى engodo momeală приманка návnada vaba mamac lockbete นกต่อ yem 誘餌，圈套，誘騙 принада کسی جانور یا شخص کو دھوکے سے پکڑنے کے لۓ استعمال میں لایا جانے والا شخص یا شی con mồi 引诱物，圈套，诱骗