Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or process of decreasing or becoming gradually less.
2. The amount lost by gradual diminution or waste.
3. Mathematics The amount by which a variable is decreased; a negative increment.
[Latin dēcrēmentum, from dēcrēscere, dēcrē-, to decrease; see decrease.]
dec′re·ment′al (-mĕn′tl) adj.
1. the act of decreasing; diminution
2. (Mathematics) maths a negative increment
3. (General Physics) physics a measure of the damping of an oscillator, expressed by the ratio of the amplitude of a cycle to its amplitude after one period
4. (General Physics) (of spectra) a sequence of related spectrum lines decaying in intensity, e.g. Balmer decay
[C17: from Latin dēcrēmentum, from dēcrescere to decrease]
dec•re•ment(ˈdɛk rə mənt)
1. the act or process of decreasing; gradual reduction.
2. the amount lost by reduction.
3. Math. a negative increment.
dec`re•men′tal (-ˈmɛn tl) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||decrement - the amount by which something decreases|
amount - the relative magnitude of something with reference to a criterion; "an adequate amount of food for four people"
free fall, drop, dip, fall - a sudden sharp decrease in some quantity; "a drop of 57 points on the Dow Jones index"; "there was a drop in pressure in the pulmonary artery"; "a dip in prices"; "when that became known the price of their stock went into free fall"
shrinkage - the amount by which something shrinks
|2.||decrement - a process of becoming smaller or shorter|
physical process, process - a sustained phenomenon or one marked by gradual changes through a series of states; "events now in process"; "the process of calcification begins later for boys than for girls"
desensitisation, desensitization - the process of reducing sensitivity; "the patient was desensitized to the allergen"
narrowing - a decrease in width
slippage - a decrease of transmitted power in a mechanical system caused by slipping
wastage - the process of wasting