Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. de·gen·er·a·cies
a. The process of degenerating.
b. The state of being degenerate.
2. Genetics The presence in the genetic code of multiple codons for the same amino acid. Also called redundancy.
n, pl -cies
1. the act or state of being degenerate
2. the process of becoming degenerate
3. (General Physics) physics the number of degenerate quantum states of a particular orbital, degree of freedom, energy level, etc
de•gen•er•a•cy(dɪˈdʒɛn ər ə si)
1. degenerate state or character.
2. the process of degenerating; decline.
3. degenerate behavior, esp. behavior considered sexually deviant.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||degeneracy - the state of being degenerate in mental or moral qualities|
|2.||degeneracy - moral perversion; impairment of virtue and moral principles; "the luxury and corruption among the upper classes"; "moral degeneracy followed intellectual degeneration"; "its brothels, its opium parlors, its depravity"; "Rome had fallen into moral putrefaction"|
immorality - the quality of not being in accord with standards of right or good conduct; "the immorality of basing the defense of the West on the threat of mutual assured destruction"