Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to degradation: Land degradation
1. The act or process of degrading.
2. The state of being degraded; degeneration.
3. A decline to a lower condition, quality, or level.
4. Geology A general lowering of the earth's surface by erosion or weathering.
5. Chemistry Decomposition of a compound, especially complex substances such as polymers and proteins, by stages, exhibiting well-defined intermediate products.
1. the act of degrading or the state of being degraded
2. (Social Welfare) a state of degeneration, squalor, or poverty
3. some act, constraint, etc, that is degrading
4. (Physical Geography) the wearing down of the surface of rocks, cliffs, etc, by erosion, weathering, or some other process
5. (Chemistry) chem a breakdown of a molecule into atoms or smaller molecules
6. (General Physics) physics an irreversible process in which the energy available to do work is decreased
7. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church the permanent unfrocking of a priest
deg•ra•da•tion(ˌdɛg rɪˈdeɪ ʃən)
1. the act of degrading.
2. the state of being degraded.
3. the wearing down of the land by the erosive action of water, wind, or ice.
4. the breakdown of an organic compound.
[1525–35; < Late Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||degradation - changing to a lower state (a less respected state)|
change of state - the act of changing something into something different in essential characteristics
dehumanisation, dehumanization - the act of degrading people with respect to their best qualities; "science has been blamed for the dehumanization of modern life"
animalisation, animalization, brutalisation, brutalization - an act that makes people cruel or lacking normal human qualities
subversion, corruption - destroying someone's (or some group's) honesty or loyalty; undermining moral integrity; "corruption of a minor"; "the big city's subversion of rural innocence"
deadening, constipation, stultification, impairment - the act of making something futile and useless (as by routine)
popularisation, popularization, vulgarisation, vulgarization - the act of making something attractive to the general public
profanation - degradation of something worthy of respect; cheapening
|2.||degradation - a low or downcast state; "each confession brought her into an attitude of abasement"- H.L.Menchken|
humiliation - state of disgrace or loss of self-respect
decadence, decadency, degeneracy, degeneration - the state of being degenerate in mental or moral qualities
depth - (usually plural) a low moral state; "he had sunk to the depths of addiction"
1. disgrace, shame, humiliation, discredit, ignominy, dishonour, mortification scenes of misery and degradation
2. deterioration, decline, decadence, degeneration, perversion, degeneracy, debasement, abasement the progressive degradation of the state