delve(redirected from delved)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
v. delved, delv·ing, delves
1. To search deeply and laboriously: delved through the court records.
a. To research or make inquiries into something: scientists delving into gene regulation.
b. To undertake an activity or occupation undeterred by difficulty or uncertainty: delved into writing a blog.
c. To discuss or explain something, especially in detail: The article delves into the problems facing the banking system.
3. To enter or move into an area in which movement is difficult: The explorers delved into the forest.
4. To dig the ground, as with a spade.
Archaic To dig (ground) with a spade.
[Middle English delven, to dig, from Old English delfan.]
vb (mainly intr; often foll by in or into)
1. to inquire or research deeply or intensively (for information, etc): he delved in the Bible for quotations.
2. to search or rummage (in a drawer, the pockets, etc)
3. (Zoology) (esp of an animal) to dig or burrow deeply (into the ground, etc)
4. (also tr) archaic or dialect to dig or turn up (earth, a garden, etc), as with a spade
[Old English delfan; related to Old High German telban to dig, Russian dolbit to hollow out with a chisel]
v. delved, delv•ing. v.i.
1. to carry on intensive and thorough research for data, information, or the like.
2. Archaic. to dig, as with a spade.v.t.
3. Archaic. to dig; excavate.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English delfan; c. Old Saxon -delban, Old High German -telban]
Past participle: delved
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||delve - turn up, loosen, or remove earth; "Dig we must"; "turn over the soil for aeration"|
remove, take away, withdraw, take - remove something concrete, as by lifting, pushing, or taking off, or remove something abstract; "remove a threat"; "remove a wrapper"; "Remove the dirty dishes from the table"; "take the gun from your pocket"; "This machine withdraws heat from the environment"
shovel - dig with or as if with a shovel; "shovel sand"; "he shovelled in the backyard all afternoon long"
trowel - use a trowel on; for light garden work or plaster work