demitasse(redirected from demitasses)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A small cup of strong black coffee or espresso.
2. The small cup used to serve this drink.
[French demi-tasse : demi-, demi- + tasse, cup (from Old French, from Arabic ṭašt, basin, from Persian tašt, from Middle Persian; akin to Avestan tašta-, cup, bowl).]
demitasse(ˈdɛmɪˌtæs; French dəmitɑs)
1. (Cookery) a small cup used to serve coffee, esp after a meal
2. (Cookery) the coffee itself
[C19: French, literally: half-cup]
dem•i•tasse(ˈdɛm ɪˌtæs, -ˌtɑs, ˈdɛm i-)
1. a small cup for serving strong black coffee.
2. the coffee served.
[1835–45; < French: literally, half-cup]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||demitasse - small cup of strong black coffee without milk or cream|
|2.||demitasse - small coffee cup; for serving black coffee|
coffee cup - a cup from which coffee is drunk