demiurge(redirected from demiurgeous)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to demiurgeous: Demiurgus
1. A powerful creative force or personality.
2. A public magistrate in some ancient Greek states.
3. Demiurge A deity in Gnosticism, Manichaeism, and other religions who creates the material world and is often viewed as the originator of evil.
4. Demiurge A Platonic deity who orders or fashions the material world out of chaos.
[Late Latin dēmiurgus, from Greek dēmiourgos, artisan : dēmios, public (from dēmos, people; see dā- in Indo-European roots) + ergos, worker (from ergon, work; see werg- in Indo-European roots).]
dem′i·ur′geous (-ûr′jəs), dem′i·ur′gic (-jĭk), dem′i·ur′gi·cal (-jĭ-kəl) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
demiurge(ˈdɛmɪˌɜːdʒ; ˈdiː-) or
a. (in the philosophy of Plato) the creator of the universe
b. (in Gnostic and some other philosophies) the creator of the universe, supernatural but subordinate to the Supreme Being
2. (Law) (in ancient Greece) a magistrate with varying powers found in any of several states
[C17: from Church Latin dēmiūrgus, from Greek dēmiourgos skilled workman, literally: one who works for the people, from dēmos people + ergon work]
ˌdemiˈurgeous, ˌdemiˈurgic, ˌdemiˈurgical adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a. (in Platonism) the artificer of the world.
b. (in Gnostic and other systems) a subordinate supernatural being who created the world and is regarded as the creator of evil.
2. (in ancient Greece) a public official or magistrate.
[1590–1600; < Greek dēmiourgós artisan, public official =dḗmio(s) of the people (derivative of dêmos the people) + -orgos, akin to érgon work]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||demiurge - a subordinate deity, in some philosophies the creator of the universe|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.