denationalize(redirected from denationalizes)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to denationalizes: denationalised
tr.v. de·na·tion·al·ized, de·na·tion·al·iz·ing, de·na·tion·al·iz·es
1. To deprive of national rights or characteristics.
2. To transfer (an industry, for example) from governmental to private ownership.
de·na′tion·al·i·za′tion (-lĭ-zā′shən) n.
1. (Economics) to return or transfer (an industry, etc) from public to private ownership
2. (Sociology) to deprive (an individual, people, institution, etc) of national character or nationality
deˌnationaliˈzation, deˌnationaliˈsation n
de•na•tion•al•ize(diˈnæʃ ə nlˌaɪz)
v.t. -ized, -iz•ing.
1. to remove from government ownership or control.
2. to deprive of national status or characteristics.
Past participle: denationalized
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||denationalize - put under private control or ownership; "The steel industry was denationalized"|
alter, change, modify - cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"
privatise, privatize - change from governmental to private control or ownership; "The oil industry was privatized"