Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. de·na·tured, de·na·tur·ing, de·na·tures
1. To change the nature or natural qualities of.
2. To render unfit to eat or drink without destroying usefulness in other applications, especially to add methanol to (ethyl alcohol).
a. To cause the tertiary structure of (a protein) to unfold, as with heat, alkali, or acid, so that some of its original properties, especially its biological activity, are diminished or eliminated.
b. To cause the paired strands of (double-stranded DNA) to separate into individual single strands.
4. Physics To add nonfissionable matter to (fissionable material) so as to prevent use in an atomic weapon.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. to change the nature of
2. (Chemistry) to change (a protein) by chemical or physical means, such as the action of acid or heat, to cause loss of solubility, biological activity, etc
3. (Chemistry) to render (something, such as ethanol) unfit for consumption by adding nauseous substances
4. (Nuclear Physics) to render (fissile material) unfit for use in nuclear weapons by addition of an isotope
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v.t. -tured, -tur•ing.
1. to deprive (something) of its natural character, properties, etc.
2. to render (various alcohols) undrinkable by adding an unwholesome substance.
3. to treat (a protein or the like) by chemical or physical means so as to alter its original state.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: denatured
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||denature - add nonfissionable material to (fissionable material) so as to make unsuitable for use in an atomic bomb|
|2.||denature - modify (as a native protein) especially by heat, acid, alkali, or ultraviolet radiation so that all of the original properties are removed or diminished|
|3.||denature - make (alcohol) unfit for drinking without impairing usefulness for other purposes|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.