Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
One that denies: a denier of harsh realities.
1. (also dĕn′yər) A unit of fineness for rayon, nylon, and silk fibers, based on a standard mass per length of 1 gram per 9,000 meters of yarn.
2. (also də-nîr′) A small coin of varying composition and value current in western Europe from the eighth century until the French Revolution.
[Middle English denere, a coin, from Old French dener, from Latin dēnārius; see denarius.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Units) a unit of weight used to measure the fineness of silk and man-made fibres, esp when woven into women's tights, etc. It is equal to 1 gram per 9000 metres
2. (Textiles) a unit of weight used to measure the fineness of silk and man-made fibres, esp when woven into women's tights, etc. It is equal to 1 gram per 9000 metres
3. (Currencies) any of several former European coins of various denominations
4. (Historical Terms) any of several former European coins of various denominations
[C15: from Old French: coin, from Latin dēnārius denarius]
a person who denies
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a person who denies.
de•nier2(dəˈnɪər, dənˈyeɪ or, esp. for 1, ˈdɛn yər)
1. a unit of weight indicating the fineness of fiber filaments and yarns, and equal to a yarn weighing one gram per each 9000 meters: used esp. for women's hosiery.
2. a small French coin, orig. of silver but later of copper, formerly issued in W Europe.
[1375–1425; late Middle English < Old French < Latin dēnārius denarius]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||denier - a unit of measurement for the fineness of silk or nylon or rayon; "with an evening dress one wears 10 denier stockings"|
|2.||denier - any of various former European coins of different denominations|
coin - a flat metal piece (usually a disc) used as money
|3.||denier - one who denies|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
2. (= coin) → denario m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (of stockings) → Denier nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
denier[ˈdɛnɪəʳ] n → denaro (di filati, calze)
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995