Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to denomination: Baptist denomination
1. A large group of religious congregations united under a common faith and name, usually organized under a single administrative and legal hierarchy.
2. One of a series of kinds, values, or sizes, as in a system of currency or weights: Cash registers have slots for bills of different denominations. The stamps come in 40¢ and 70¢ denominations.
3. A name or designation, especially for a class or group.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Theology) a group having a distinctive interpretation of a religious faith and usually its own organization
2. (Units) a grade or unit in a series of designations of value, weight, measure, etc: coins of this denomination are being withdrawn.
3. (Currencies) a grade or unit in a series of designations of value, weight, measure, etc: coins of this denomination are being withdrawn.
4. a name given to a class or group; classification
5. the act of giving a name
6. a name; designation
[C15: from Latin dēnōminātiō a calling by name; see denominate]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
de•nom•i•na•tion(dɪˌnɒm əˈneɪ ʃən)
1. a religious group, usu. including many local churches.
2. one of the grades in a series of designations of quantity, value, measure, weight, etc.: bills of small denomination.
3. a name or designation, esp. one for a class of things.
4. a class of persons or things distinguished by a specific name.
5. the act of naming or designating a person or thing.
[1350–1400; < Late Latin, Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Denominationa set of the same persons, called by the same name and therefore of the same views. See also communion, confession.
Examples: denomination of Bapists; of Christians; of Epicureans, 1716; of the faithful, 1746; of malefactors, 1814; of methodists; of peripateticks, 1716; of Stoics, 1716.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||denomination - a group of religious congregations having its own organization and a distinctive faith|
congregation, faithful, fold - a group of people who adhere to a common faith and habitually attend a given church
NGO, nongovernmental organization - an organization that is not part of the local or state or federal government
communion - (Christianity) a group of Christians with a common religious faith who practice the same rites
Protestant denomination - group of Protestant congregations
|2.||denomination - a class of one kind of unit in a system of numbers or measures or weights or money; "he flashed a fistful of bills of large denominations"|
|3.||denomination - identifying word or words by which someone or something is called and classified or distinguished from others|
name - a language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
street name - an alternative name that a person chooses or is given (especially in inner city neighborhoods); "her street name is Bonbon"
byname, cognomen, moniker, nickname, sobriquet, soubriquet - a familiar name for a person (often a shortened version of a person's given name); "Joe's mother would not use his nickname and always called him Joseph"; "Henry's nickname was Slim"
form of address, title of respect, title - an identifying appellation signifying status or function: e.g. `Mr.' or `General'; "the professor didn't like his friends to use his formal title"
title - an appellation signifying nobility; "`your majesty' is the appropriate title to use in addressing a king"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. religious group, belief, sect, persuasion, creed, school Acceptance of women preachers varies from one denomination to another.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
1. Those who accept and practice a particular religious belief:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
2. (Rel) → confesión f
4. (= name) → denominación f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. a value (of a stamp, coin etc). banknotes of all denominations. kleingeld قيمَه стойност valor hodnota der Wert pålydende αξίαvalor nimiväärtus ارزش nimellisarvo valeurערך किसी जाति या प्रकार का नाम kategorija, vrsta névérték nilai (einingar)gildi, verðgildi taglio (貨幣などの) 単位名 화폐 단위 금액 nominalas (naudaszīmes u.tml.) vērtība kelas unit pengukuran waardeverdi, pålydende, seddel nominał قیمت valor valoare достоинство hodnota vrednost apoen valör อัตรา değer (郵票，貨幣等的)面值 вартість; цінність سکوں وغیرہ کا ایک درجہ loại; hạng （邮票，货币等的）面值
2. a group of people with the same religious beliefs. This service is open to people of all denominations. kerkgenootskap, denominasie طائِفَه вероизповедание seita vyznání die Konfession trosretning θρήσκευμαsecta, confesión usulahk فرقه؛ گروه مذهبی uskontokunta secte כָּת דָּתִית एक समान धार्मिक आस्था के लोगों का समूह vjerska pripadnost felekezet sekte trúarsöfnuður setta, confessione 宗派 종파 tikyba konfesija gelaran gezindtekirkesamfunn, trosretning grupa wyznaniowa مذهبی دله seita confesiune; sectă вероисповедание vyznanie verska ločina veroispovest trossamfund นิกาย mezhep （宗派）派別 віросповідання; секта مذہبی جمعیت یا فرقہ giáo phái （宗派）派别
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
n. denominación, nombre.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012