Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. The act of denoting; indication.
2. Something, such as a sign or symbol, that denotes.
3. Something signified or referred to; a particular meaning of a symbol.
4. The most specific or direct meaning of a word, in contrast to its figurative or associated meanings.
de•no•ta•tion(ˌdi noʊˈteɪ ʃən)
1. the explicit or direct meaning or set of meanings of a word or expression, as distinguished from the ideas or meanings associated with or suggested by it. Compare connotation (def. 2).
2. the act or fact of denoting; indication.
3. a word that names or denotes something.
4. a mark, sign, or symbol; indicator.
5. Logic. extension (def. 11).
[1525–35; < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||denotation - the act of indicating or pointing out by name|
naming - the verbal act of naming; "the part he failed was the naming of state capitals"
|2.||denotation - the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to; "the extension of `satellite of Mars' is the set containing only Demos and Phobos"|