specialty(redirected from dental specialty)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. spe·cial·ties
a. A special pursuit, occupation, aptitude, or skill: The professor's specialty was the study of ancient languages.
b. A branch of medicine or surgery, such as cardiology or neurosurgery, in which a physician specializes; the field or practice of a specialist.
c. An item or product of a distinctive kind or of particular superiority: French pastry is the chef's specialty.
2. Law A contract or agreement that creates a greater obligation than an ordinary contract or agreement because it is executed under seal.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ties
1. (Law) law a formal contract or obligation expressed in a deed
2. US and Canadian a special interest or skill
a. a service or product specialized in, as at a restaurant: roast beef was a specialty of the house.
b. (as modifier): a specialty dish.
4. a special or distinguishing feature or characteristic
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
spe•cial•ty(ˈspɛʃ əl ti)
n., pl. -ties,
1. a special subject of study, line of work, skill, or the like on which one concentrates.
2. an article or service particularly dealt in, manufactured, rendered, etc.
3. an article of unusual or superior design or quality.
4. a novelty; a new article.
5. a special or particular point, item, matter, etc.
6. special or distinctive quality or state.adj.
7. (in show business, esp. vaudeville) designating or performing unusual or very specific routines, as juggling or patter singing.
[1300–50; Middle English specialte < Middle French especialte < Late Latin speciālitās. See special, -ity]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
See also related terms for occupation.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||specialty - an asset of special worth or utility; "cooking is his forte"|
|2.||specialty - a distinguishing trait |
individualism, individuality, individuation - the quality of being individual; "so absorbed by the movement that she lost all sense of individuality"
|3.||specialty - the special line of work you have adopted as your career; "his specialization is gastroenterology"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. Something at which a person excels:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
specialty→ تَخَصُّص specializace specialitet Spezialität ειδικότητα especialidad erikoisala spécialité specijalnost specialità 専門 특기 specialiteit spesialitet specjalność especialidade специальность specialitet ความชำนาญพิเศษ uzmanlık chuyên môn 专业
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
n. especialidad. V. cuadro en la página 115.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
- What is the chef's specialty? (US)
What is the chef's speciality? (UK)
- What is the house specialty? (US)
What is the house speciality? (UK)
- Is there a local specialty? (US)
Is there a local speciality? (UK)
- What's the local specialty? (US)
What's the local speciality? (UK)
Collins Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
specialtyn (pl -ties) especialidad f
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.