depressor(redirected from depressors)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Something that depresses or is used to depress.
2. An instrument used to depress a part: a tongue depressor.
3. Any of various muscles that serve to draw down a part of the body.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that depresses
2. (Anatomy) any muscle that draws down a part
3. (Medicine) med an instrument used to press down or aside an organ or part: a tongue depressor.
4. (Physiology) Also called: depressor nerve any nerve that when stimulated produces a fall in blood pressure by dilating the arteries or lowering the heartbeat
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person or thing that depresses.
2. a device for pressing down a protruding part: a tongue depressor.
3. any muscle that draws down a part of the body. Compare levator.
4. a nerve that induces a decrease in activity.
[1605–15; < Late Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||depressor - any skeletal muscle that draws a body part down|
|2.||depressor - any nerve whose activity tends to reduce the activity or tone of the body part it serves|
|3.||depressor - a device used by physician to press a part down or aside|
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
tongue depressor - a thin depressor used to press the tongue down during an examination of the mouth and throat
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. agente usado para reducir un nivel establecido de una función o actividad del organismo;
2. tranquilizante que produce depresión.
depressor motor → motor del depresor.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012