Also found in: Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to detainer: Unlawful detainer
1. The withholding of property from its rightful owner.
2. The holding of a person in custody, especially under a writ authorizing continued custody for the purposes of making the person available to other authorities to answer other charges.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Law) the wrongful withholding of the property of another person
a. the detention of a person in custody
b. a writ authorizing the further detention of a person already in custody
[C17: from Anglo-French detener (n), from detener to detain]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a writ for the further detention of a person already in custody.
2. the wrongful withholding of what belongs to another.
[1610–20; < Anglo-French detener (n. use of infinitive), variant of Old French detenir]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.