Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An influencing or determining element or factor: "Education is the second most important determinant of recreational participation" (John P. Robinson).
2. Mathematics The value computed from a square matrix of numbers by a rule of combining products of the matrix entries and that characterizes the solvablitity of simultaneous linear equations. Its absolute value can be interpreted as an area or volume.
3. Immunology An epitope.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
serving to determine or affect
1. a factor, circumstance, etc, that influences or determines
2. (Mathematics) maths a square array of elements that represents the sum of certain products of these elements, used to solve simultaneous equations, in vector studies, etc. Compare matrix9
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
de•ter•mi•nant(dɪˈtɜr mə nənt)
1. a determining factor.
2. an algebraic expression of the sum of products of matrix elements used in the solution of systems of linear equations.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||determinant - a determining or causal element or factor; "education is an important determinant of one's outlook on life"|
cognitive factor - something immaterial (as a circumstance or influence) that contributes to producing a result
influence - a cognitive factor that tends to have an effect on what you do; "her wishes had a great influence on his thinking"
|2.||determinant - the site on the surface of an antigen molecule to which an antibody attaches itself|
immunology - the branch of medical science that studies the body's immune system
site, situation - physical position in relation to the surroundings; "the sites are determined by highly specific sequences of nucleotides"
antigen - any substance (as a toxin or enzyme) that stimulates an immune response in the body (especially the production of antibodies)
|3.||determinant - a square matrix used to solve simultaneous equations|
square matrix - a matrix with the same number of rows and columns
|Adj.||1.||determinant - having the power or quality of deciding; "the crucial experiment"; "cast the deciding vote"; "the determinative (or determinant) battle"|
decisive - determining or having the power to determine an outcome; "cast the decisive vote"; "two factors had a decisive influence"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun factor, point, cause, influence, thing, item, element, circumstance, consideration, component the types of determinant that are likely to influence trade
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
determinant[dɪˈtɜːrmɪnənt] n (= factor) → déterminant m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
determinant[dɪˈtɜːmɪnənt] adj & n → determinante (m)
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. determinante, elemento que predomina o causa una determinación.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012