detoxify(redirected from detoxified)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
tr.v. de·tox·i·fied, de·tox·i·fy·ing, de·tox·i·fies
1. To counteract or destroy the toxic properties of: drugs that are detoxified by the liver.
2. To remove a toxic substance or the effects of such a substance from: soaked the cassava to detoxify it.
3. To treat (an individual) for alcohol or drug intoxication, usually under a medically supervised program designed to rid the body of toxic substances and manage withdrawal symptoms.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb (tr) , -fies, -fying or -fied
1. (Medicine) to remove poison from; detoxicate
2. (Medicine) to treat (a person) for alcoholism or drug addiction
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
de•tox•i•fy(diˈtɒk sə faɪ)
v. -fied, -fy•ing. v.t.
1. to rid of poison.
2. to subject (a person) to detoxification.v.i.
3. to undergo detoxification.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: detoxified
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||detoxify - remove poison from; "detoxify the soil"|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
|2.||detoxify - treat for alcohol or drug dependence; "He was detoxified in the clinic"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
[+ addict] → désintoxiquer
(= cleanse) [+ body, system] → désintoxiquer
(= remove toxicity of) → désintoxiquer
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
vt → entgiften
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
vt. destoxificar, desintoxicar, extraer sustancias tóxicas.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012