Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to devisable: divisible
tr.v. de·vised, de·vis·ing, de·vis·es
1. To form, plan, or arrange in the mind; design or contrive: devised a new system for handling mail orders.
2. Law To transmit or give (real property) by will.
3. Archaic To suppose; imagine.
a. The act of transmitting or giving real property by will.
b. The property or lands so transmitted or given.
2. A will or clause in a will transmitting or giving real property.
[Middle English devisen, from Old French deviser, from Vulgar Latin *dēvīsāre, from Latin *dīvīsāre, frequentative of dīvidere, to divide; see divide.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Law) law (of property, esp realty) capable of being transferred by will
2. able to be invented, contrived, or devised
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014