Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to devisable: divisible
tr.v. de·vised, de·vis·ing, de·vis·es
1. To form, plan, or arrange in the mind; design or contrive: devised a new system for handling mail orders.
2. Law To transmit or give (real property) by will.
3. Archaic To suppose; imagine.
a. The act of transmitting or giving real property by will.
b. The property or lands so transmitted or given.
2. A will or clause in a will transmitting or giving real property.
[Middle English devisen, from Old French deviser, from Vulgar Latin *dēvīsāre, from Latin *dīvīsāre, frequentative of dīvidere, to divide; see divide.]
1. (Law) law (of property, esp realty) capable of being transferred by will
2. able to be invented, contrived, or devised