dexter(redirected from dexterly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or located on the right side.
2. Heraldry Situated on or being the side of a shield on the wearer's right and the observer's left.
3. Obsolete Auspicious; favorable.
1. archaic of or located on the right side
2. (Heraldry) (usually postpositive) heraldry of, on, or starting from the right side of a shield from the bearer's point of view and therefore on the spectator's left
[C16: from Latin; compare Greek dexios on the right hand]
(Breeds) a small breed of red or black beef cattle, originally from Ireland
[C19: perhaps from the surname of the original breeder]
(Biography) John. 1925–90, British actor and theatre director
1. on the right side; right.
2. being or pertaining to the side of a heraldic shield to the right of the bearer. Compare sinister (def. 5).
[1555–65; < Latin: right-hand, favorable; akin to Gothic taihswa, Old Irish dess, Greek dexiós, Lithuanian dẽšinas, Skt dakṣina]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||dexter - on or starting from the wearer's right|
heraldry - the study and classification of armorial bearings and the tracing of genealogies
dextral - of or on the right; "a dextral gastropod shell with the apex upward has its opening on the right when facing the observer"; "a dextral flatfish lies with the right eye uppermost"
a. diestro-a; a la derecha.