diaphragm(redirected from diaphragmatically)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
the partition separating the thoracic cavity from the abdominal cavity in mammals; a contraceptive device worn by a female over the uterine cervix during sexual intercourse
Not to be confused with:
diagram – a chart, plan, or scheme
1. Anatomy A muscular membranous partition separating the abdominal and thoracic cavities and functioning in respiration. Also called midriff.
2. A membranous part that divides or separates.
3. A thin disk, especially in a microphone or telephone receiver, that vibrates in response to sound waves to produce electric signals, or that vibrates in response to electric signals to produce sound waves.
4. A contraceptive device consisting of a thin flexible disk, usually made of rubber, that is designed to cover the uterine cervix to prevent the entry of sperm during sexual intercourse.
5. A disk having a fixed or variable opening used to restrict the amount of light traversing a lens or optical system.
[Middle English diafragma, from Late Latin diaphragma, midriff, from Greek, partition, from diaphrassein, to barricade : dia-, intensive pref.; see dia- + phrassein, phrag-, to enclose.]
di′a·phrag·mat′ic (-frăg-măt′ĭk) adj.
1. (Anatomy) anatomy any separating membrane, esp the dome-shaped muscular partition that separates the abdominal and thoracic cavities in mammals.
2. (Gynaecology & Obstetrics) a circular rubber or plastic contraceptive membrane placed over the mouth of the uterine cervix before copulation to prevent entrance of sperm
3. any thin dividing membrane
4. (Photography) Also called: stop a disc with a fixed or adjustable aperture to control the amount of light or other radiation entering an optical instrument, such as a camera
5. (Telecommunications) a thin disc that vibrates when receiving or producing sound waves, used to convert sound signals to electrical signals or vice versa in telephones, etc
6. (Chemistry) chem
a. a porous plate or cylinder dividing an electrolytic cell, used to permit the passage of ions and prevent the mixing of products formed at the electrodes
b. a semipermeable membrane used to separate two solutions in osmosis
7. (Botany) botany a transverse plate of cells that occurs in the stems of certain aquatic plants
[C17: from Late Latin diaphragma, from Greek, from dia- + phragma fence]
1. a wall of muscle and connective tissue separating two cavities, esp. the partition separating the thoracic cavity from the abdominal cavity in mammals.
a. a porous plate separating two liquids.
b. a semipermeable membrane.
3. a thin disk that vibrates when receiving or producing sound waves, as in a telephone or microphone.
4. a thin, dome-shaped device usu. of rubber for wearing over the uterine cervix during sexual intercourse to prevent conception.
5. a plate with a hole in the center or a ring that is placed on the axis of an optical instrument, as a camera, and that controls the amount of light entering the instrument.v.t.
6. to furnish with a diaphragm.
[1350–1400; < Late Latin diaphragma < Greek diáphragma the diaphragm, midriff =dia- dia- + phrágma a fence]
di`a•phrag•mat′ic (-frægˈmæt ɪk) adj.
1. A muscle that separates the chest cavity from the abdominal cavity. As the diaphragm contracts and expands, it forces air into and out of the lungs.
2. A thin, flexible disk, especially in a microphone or telephone receiver, that vibrates in response to sound waves to produce electrical signals, or that vibrates in response to electrical signals to produce sound waves.
The physical element of an optical system which regulates the quantity of light traversing the system. The quantity of light determines the brightness of the image without affecting the size of the image.
A muscular sheet used in breathing. It separates the thorax and abdomen.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||diaphragm - a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens; "the new cameras adjust the diaphragm automatically"|
camera, photographic camera - equipment for taking photographs (usually consisting of a lightproof box with a lens at one end and light-sensitive film at the other)
iris diaphragm, iris - diaphragm consisting of thin overlapping plates that can be adjusted to change the diameter of a central opening
mechanical device - mechanism consisting of a device that works on mechanical principles
|2.||diaphragm - (anatomy) a muscular partition separating the abdominal and thoracic cavities; functions in respiration|
tissue layer, membrane - a pliable sheet of tissue that covers or lines or connects the organs or cells of animals or plants
torso, trunk, body - the body excluding the head and neck and limbs; "they moved their arms and legs and bodies"
|3.||diaphragm - a contraceptive device consisting of a flexible dome-shaped cup made of rubber or plastic; it is filled with spermicide and fitted over the uterine cervix|
|4.||diaphragm - electro-acoustic transducer that vibrates to receive or produce sound waves|
electro-acoustic transducer - a transducer that converts electrical to acoustic energy or vice versa
diaphragm[ˈdaɪəfræm] n → diaframma m
1. músculo que separa el tórax del abdomen;
2. anticonceptivo uterino.