Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to diesel: Bio Diesel
1. A diesel engine.
2. A vehicle powered by a diesel engine.
3. Any of various fuels used to power diesel engines, especially one derived from petroleum.
intr.v. die·seled, die·sel·ing, die·sels
1. To continue running after the ignition has been turned off, as when an open throttle supplies fuel to an engine that is still sufficiently hot to ignite it.
2. To drive a diesel-powered vehicle: We dieseled through the countryside.
3. To refuel a diesel-powered vehicle. Often used with up.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Automotive Engineering) See diesel engine
2. (Automotive Engineering) a ship, locomotive, lorry, etc, driven by a diesel engine
3. (Automotive Engineering) informal short for diesel oil
4. (Brewing) slang South African any cola drink: spook and diesel.
5. sucking diesel See suck10
(Biography) Rudolf (ˈruːdɔlf). 1858–1913, German engineer, who invented the diesel engine (1892)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
die•sel(ˈdi zəl, -səl)
1. designating a machine or vehicle powered by a diesel engine: diesel locomotive.
2. of or pertaining to a diesel engine: diesel fuel.n.
4. a vehicle powered by a diesel engine.
[after Rudolf Diesel (1858–1913), German automotive engineer, the engine's inventor]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Diesel - German engineer (born in France) who invented the diesel engine (1858-1913)|
|2.||diesel - an internal-combustion engine that burns heavy oil|
diesel locomotive - a locomotive driven by a diesel engine
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adj → dieselelektrisch
n → Dieselmotor m
n → Dieselöl nt
n → Dieseltriebwagen m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
diesel→ وَقُودُ الدِيزِيل nafta diesel Diesel ντίζελ diésel, gasóleo diesel diesel dizel diesel ディーゼルエンジン 디젤기관 diesel diesel diesel diesel, gasóleo дизельное топливо diesel น้ำมันดีเซล dizel dầu diesel 柴油机驱动的车辆
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
Collins Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009