differential(redirected from differential gears)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
pertaining to diversity; distinctive: a differential feature; a gear in a vehicle
Not to be confused with:
deferential – courteous, dutiful, respectful: She assumed a deferential attitude toward her teacher.
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. Of, relating to, or showing a difference.
2. Constituting or making a difference; distinctive.
3. Dependent on or making use of a specific difference or distinction.
4. Mathematics Of or relating to differentiation.
5. Involving differences in speed or direction of motion.
a. An infinitesimal increment in a variable.
b. The product of the derivative of a function of one variable and the increment of the independent variable.
2. A differential gear.
3. A difference between comparable things, as in wage rate or in price.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. of, relating to, or using a difference
2. constituting a difference; distinguishing
3. (Mathematics) maths of, containing, or involving one or more derivatives or differentials
4. (General Physics) physics engineering relating to, operating on, or based on the difference between two effects, motions, forces, etc: differential amplifier.
5. a factor that differentiates between two comparable things
6. (Mathematics) maths
a. an increment in a given function, expressed as the product of the derivative of that function and the corresponding increment in the independent variable
b. an increment in a given function of two or more variables, f(x1, x2, …xn), expressed as the sum of the products of each partial derivative and the increment in the corresponding variable
7. (Mechanical Engineering) an epicyclic gear train that permits two shafts to rotate at different speeds while being driven by a third shaft. See also differential gear
8. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) chiefly Brit the difference between rates of pay for different types of labour, esp when forming a pay structure within an industry
9. (Commerce) (in commerce) a difference in rates, esp between comparable labour services or transportation routes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
dif•fer•en•tial(ˌdɪf əˈrɛn ʃəl)
1. of or pertaining to difference or diversity.
2. constituting a difference; distinguishing; distinctive.
3. exhibiting or depending upon a difference or distinction.
4. pertaining to or involving the difference of two or more motions, forces, etc.
5. pertaining to or involving a mathematical derivative or derivatives.n.
6. a difference or the amount of difference, as in rate, cost, degree, or quality, between things that are comparable.
a. a function of two variables that is obtained from a given function, y = f(x), and that expresses the approximate increment in the given function as the derivative of the function times the increment in the independent variable, written as dy = f~(x) dx.
b. any generalization of this function to higher dimensions.
9. Physics. the quantitative difference between two or more forces, motions, etc.: a pressure differential.
[1640–50; < Medieval Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||differential - the result of mathematical differentiation; the instantaneous change of one quantity relative to another; df(x)/dx|
curvature - the rate of change (at a point) of the angle between a curve and a tangent to the curve
|2.||differential - a quality that differentiates between similar things|
difference - the quality of being unlike or dissimilar; "there are many differences between jazz and rock"
|3.||differential - a bevel gear that permits rotation of two shafts at different speeds; used on the rear axle of automobiles to allow wheels to rotate at different speeds on curves|
|Adj.||1.||differential - relating to or showing a difference; "differential treatment"|
|2.||differential - involving or containing one or more derivatives; "differential equation"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
A. ADJ [rate] → diferencial
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(= difference) → différentiel m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adj (= different) rates of pay, treatment, diagnosis, effects → unterschiedlich; (= distinguishing) feature → unterscheidend; differential pricing (Comm) → Preisdiskriminierung f
(= difference) → Unterschied m → (between zwischen); (Math) → Differenzial nt, → Differential nt; wage/salary differential → Lohn-/Gehaltsunterschiede or -differenzen pl
n (Math) → Ableitung f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a. diferencial, rel. a la diferenciación;
___ diagnosis → diagnóstico ___.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012