Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to diffuseness: perfect diffusion
v. dif·fused, dif·fus·ing, dif·fus·es
1. To cause to spread out freely: smoke that is diffused throughout the room.
2. To make known to or cause to be used by large numbers of people; disseminate: diffuses ideas over the internet.
3. To make less brilliant; soften: light that is diffused through frosted glass.
4. To make less intense; weaken: a remark that diffused the tension in the interview.
5. Physics To cause to undergo diffusion.
1. To become widely dispersed; spread out: The hormone diffuses throughout the body.
2. Physics To undergo diffusion.
1. Widely spread or scattered; not concentrated: Diffuse light is often hard to read by.
2. Wordy or unclear: a diffuse description. See Synonyms at wordy.
[From Middle English, dispersed, from Anglo-Norman diffus, from Latin diffūsus, past participle of diffundere, to spread : dis-, out, apart; see dis- + fundere, to pour; see gheu- in Indo-European roots.]
dif·fuse′ly (-fyo͞os′lē) adv.
dif·fuse′ness (-fyo͞os′nĭs) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||diffuseness - the spatial property of being spread out over a wide area or through a large volume|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
diffuseness[dɪˈfjuːsnɪs] N [of style, writer] → prolijidad f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (of style) → Weitschweifigkeit f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007