Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that diffuses, as:
a. A light fixture, such as a frosted globe, that spreads light evenly.
b. A medium that scatters light, used in photography to soften shadows.
c. A device, such as a cone or baffle, placed in front of a loudspeaker diaphragm to diffuse the sound waves.
2. A flow passage in a wind tunnel that decelerates a stream of gas or liquid from a high to a low velocity.
1. a person or thing that diffuses
2. (Furniture) a part of a lighting fixture consisting of a translucent or frosted covering or of a rough reflector: used to scatter the light and prevent glare
3. (Electronics) a cone, wedge, or baffle placed in front of the diaphragm of a loudspeaker to diffuse the sound waves
4. (Aeronautics) a duct, esp in a wind tunnel or jet engine, that widens gradually in the direction of flow to reduce the speed and increase the pressure of the air or fluid
5. (Photography) photog a light-scattering medium, such as a screen of fine fabric, placed in the path of a source of light to reduce the sharpness of shadows and thus soften the lighting
6. (Civil Engineering) a perforated plate or similar device for distributing compressed air in the aeration of sewage
7. (Hairdressing & Grooming) a device, attached to a hairdryer, which diffuses the warm air as it comes out
1. a person or thing that diffuses.
2. (in a lighting fixture) any of a variety of translucent materials for filtering glare from the light source.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||diffuser - baffle that distributes sound waves evenly|
|2.||diffuser - optical device that distributes the light of a lamp evenly|
lamp - a piece of furniture holding one or more electric light bulbs
lighting fixture - a fixture providing artificial light
optical device - a device for producing or controlling light