Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to dilatant: Dilatant compound
1. Tending to dilate; dilating.
2. Exhibiting dilatancy.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. tending to dilate; dilating
2. (General Physics) physics of, concerned with, or exhibiting dilatancy
(Medicine) something, such as a catheter, that causes dilation
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
di•lat•ant(dɪˈleɪt nt, daɪ-)
1. dilating; expanding.
2. exhibiting an increase in volume when changed in shape because of wider spacing between particles.
3. (of rock) exhibiting an increase in volume because of recrystallization.
[1835–45; < Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.