Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An aromatic herb (Anethum graveolens) in the parsley family, native to Eurasia, having finely dissected leaves and small yellow flowers clustered in umbels.
2. The leaves or seeds of this plant, used as a seasoning.
[Middle English dile, from Old English.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) an umbelliferous aromatic Eurasian plant, Anethum graveolens, with finely dissected leaves and umbrella-shaped clusters of yellow flowers
2. (Cookery) the leaves or seedlike fruits of this plant, used for flavouring in pickles, soups, etc, and in medicine
[Old English dile; related to Old High German tilli]
informal chiefly Austral and NZ a fool; idiot
[C20: from dilly2]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any plant of the genus Anethum, of the parsley family, esp. A. graveolens, having aromatic seeds and finely divided leaves used as a flavoring.
2. the seeds or leaves.
3. dill pickle.
[before 900; Middle English di(l)le, Old English dile; akin to Old Saxon dilli, Old High German tilli, Old Norse dylla]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dill - aromatic Old World herb having aromatic threadlike foliage and seeds used as seasoning|
dill seed - seed of the dill plant used as seasoning
|2.||dill - aromatic threadlike foliage of the dill plant used as seasoning|
herb - aromatic potherb used in cookery for its savory qualities
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
dill[ˈdɪl] n (= herb) → aneth m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Dill m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
dill[dɪl] n → aneto
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995