Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A full-skirted dress with a tight bodice and low neck, often worn with an apron.
2. A full skirt with a gathered waistband.
[German, short for Dirndlkleid : German dialectal Dirndl, diminutive of Dirne, girl (from Old High German diorna) + Kleid, dress.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's dress with a full gathered skirt and fitted bodice; originating from Tyrolean peasant wear
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a gathered skirt of this kind
[German (Bavarian and Austrian): shortened from Dirndlkleid, from Dirndl little girl + Kleid dress]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a dress with a close-fitting bodice and full skirt in Tyrolean style.
2. a full, gathered skirt attached to a waistband or hip yoke.
[1935–40; < German Dirndl, short for Dirndlkleid=Dirndl young woman + Kleid dress (see cloth)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A full skirt gathered tightly at the waist, or a dress with this kind of skirt.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dirndl - a full skirt with a gathered waistband|
gathered skirt - a skirt whose fabric is drawn together around the waist
|2.||dirndl - a dress with a tight bodice and full skirt|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.