Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A full-skirted dress with a tight bodice and low neck, often worn with an apron.
2. A full skirt with a gathered waistband.
[German, short for Dirndlkleid : German dialectal Dirndl, diminutive of Dirne, girl (from Old High German diorna) + Kleid, dress.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's dress with a full gathered skirt and fitted bodice; originating from Tyrolean peasant wear
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a gathered skirt of this kind
[German (Bavarian and Austrian): shortened from Dirndlkleid, from Dirndl little girl + Kleid dress]
1. a dress with a close-fitting bodice and full skirt in Tyrolean style.
2. a full, gathered skirt attached to a waistband or hip yoke.
[1935–40; < German Dirndl, short for Dirndlkleid=Dirndl young woman + Kleid dress (see cloth)]
A full skirt gathered tightly at the waist, or a dress with this kind of skirt.