Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. dis·con·form·i·ties
1. Geology A type of unconformity in which the rock layers are parallel.
2. Refusal or failure to conform; nonconformity.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ties
1. lack of conformity; discrepancy
2. (Geological Science) the junction between two parallel series of stratified rocks, representing a considerable period of erosion of the much older underlying rocks before the more recent ones were deposited
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
dis•con•form•i•ty(ˌdɪs kənˈfɔr mɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties.
1. the surface of a division between parallel rock strata, indicating interruption of sedimentation: a type of unconformity.
2. Archaic. nonconformity.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.