Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The state or an instance of disagreement; discord.
2. Genetics The presence of a given trait in only one member of a pair of identical twins.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Geological Science) geology an arrangement of rock strata in which the older underlying ones dip at a different angle from the younger overlying ones; unconformity
2. lack of agreement or consonance
3. (Music, other) variants of discord
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a discordant state.
2. an instance of this.
[1300–50; Middle English < Anglo-French]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||discordance - a harsh mixture of sounds|
dissonance - disagreeable sounds
|2.||discordance - strife resulting from a lack of agreement|
strife - bitter conflict; heated often violent dissension
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.