discountenance(redirected from discountenances)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to discountenances: discountenanced
tr.v. dis·coun·te·nanced, dis·coun·te·nanc·ing, dis·coun·te·nanc·es
1. To view or treat with disfavor.
2. To put out of countenance; disconcert.
Disfavor or disapproval.
1. to make ashamed or confused
2. to disapprove of
dis•coun•te•nance(dɪsˈkaʊn tn əns)
v. -nanced, -nanc•ing,
1. to disconcert, embarrass, or abash.
2. to show disapproval of.n.
3. disapproval; disapprobation.
Past participle: discountenanced
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||discountenance - look with disfavor on; "The republic soon discountenanced its few friends"|
shame - cause to be ashamed
|2.||discountenance - show disapproval by discouraging; "any measure tending to fuse invalids into a class with special privileges should be discountenanced"|
disapprove - consider bad or wrong
1. To have or express an unfavorable opinion of: