Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. An open, generally shallow concave container for holding, cooking, or serving food.
b. dishes The containers and often the utensils used when eating: took out the dishes and silverware; washed the dishes.
c. A shallow concave container used for purposes other than eating: an evaporating dish.
2. The amount that a dish can hold.
a. The food served or contained in a dish: a dish of ice cream.
b. A particular variety or preparation of food: Sushi is a Japanese dish.
a. A depression similar to that in a shallow concave container for food.
b. The degree of concavity in such a depression.
5. Electronics A dish antenna.
6. Slang A good-looking person, especially an attractive woman.
7. Informal Idle talk; gossip: "plenty of dish about her tattoos, her plastic surgeries, and her ever-younger inamorati" (Louise Kennedy).
v. dished, dish·ing, dish·es
1. To serve (food) in or as if in a dish: dished up the stew.
2. To present: dished up an excellent entertainment.
3. To hollow out; make concave.
4. Informal To gossip about.
5. Chiefly British Slang To ruin, foil, or defeat.
v.intr. InformalPhrasal Verb:
To talk idly, especially to gossip.
To dispense freely: likes to dish out advice.
dish it out Slang
To deal out criticism or abuse.
[Middle English, from Old English disc, from Latin discus; see disk.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Cookery) all the objects that have been used to cook, serve, and eat a meal
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
- Where can I do the dishes? (US)
Where is the washing up area? (UK)
- We need more dishes (US)
We need more crockery (UK)
- What fish dishes do you have?
- Do you have any vegetarian dishes?
- Do you have any vegan dishes?
- Do you have halal dishes?
- Do you have kosher dishes?
- Do you have gluten-free dishes?
- Do you have dairy-free dishes?
- Which dishes have no meat
Collins Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009