Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
intr.v. dis·sent·ed, dis·sent·ing, dis·sents
1. To have or express an opinion different from a prevailing or official position; disagree.
2. Law To reach a conclusion contrary to the majority of the judges deciding a case; render a minority opinion.
1. Difference of opinion or feeling; disagreement.
2. The refusal to conform to the authority or doctrine of an established church; nonconformity.
3. Law A judicial opinion reaching a conclusion contrary to that reached by the majority of judges deciding a case; a minority opinion. Also called dissenting opinion.
[Middle English dissenten, from Latin dissentīre : dis-, dis- + sentīre, to feel; see sent- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||dissenting - disagreeing, especially with a majority|
negative - expressing or consisting of a negation or refusal or denial
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
adjective disagreeing, protesting, opposing, conflicting, differing, dissident There were dissenting voices.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
dissenting[dɪˈsentɪŋ] ADJ [voice] → discrepante
there was one dissenting voice → hubo una voz discrepante or en contra
a long dissenting tradition → una larga tradición de disidencia
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
dissenting[dɪˈsɛntɪŋ] adj → dissenziente
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995